Dunham’s Sports Weekly Ad Circular
The company opened its first store in West Bloomfield, Michigan, under the name Dunham’s Bait & Tackle in 1937. It was operated by Ron Dunham on the Northwestern Highway west of Telegraph Road.
RL Schmalzreid bought the store in 1953 and moved it to Northwestern Highway and Orchard Lake Road. American Can Company bought the chain with 8 stores in 1985. Five in Metro Detroit, one in Anderson, Indiana, one in Muncie and one in Grand Rapids, Michigan, Indiana. After merging with Primerica, the company sold Dunham in 1989. By 1991, the company had 49 stores and was headquartered in Waterford Township, Michigan. Dunham’s Sports headquarters is located in Troy, Michigan
With more than 235 stores in 22 states and 2512 employees, Dunham’s Sports stores have become the sporting goods chain serving customers, offering a wide range of active and casual athletic shoes and clothing, as well as a line of traditional sports equipment and athletic equipment.